Filing your Oregon stepparent adoption doesn’t have to be difficult.

We understand that filing for a stepparent adoption is an extremely important time in your life. It can be stressful and the process can seem overwhelming. We guarantee that your Oregon stepparent adoption documents will be accurate and that the court clerks will accept them for filing as meeting or exceeding their standards, or you get your money back – 100%. We can make this guarantee because we make it our mission to make sure our documents are complete and up-to-date with the newest court regulations. If we don’t make it right, we’ll refund your money – 100%.


Oregon Adoption – Information you should know.

We know how important is it for you to do the research on filing your Oregon adoption online. Our highly experienced staff will help you through the process. Please review the information below to educate yourself on filing a stepparent adoption in Oregon, and then our staff will help you with any questions.


In Oregon, the person filing for the stepparent adoption is referred to as the “Petitioner” and the absent parent is referred to as the “Defendant”. The petitioning stepparent will file the legal adoption documents that we prepare for you with the court. This will start the adoption process. An uncontested adoption means that the other parent is not going to file additional documents with the court objecting to the adoption.


Most of the stepparent adoptions we do for customers have one of the following circumstances:


  • The absent natural parent is deceased.
  • The absent parent has abandoned the child or children, by failing to maintain a meaningful relationship with the child(ren), and failing to provide financial support for the child(ren).  In many situations, the absent parent’s whereabouts are unknown.
  • The absent parent believes that the adoption is in the child’s best interest, and agrees to sign a consent to the adoption.


Please note that if the other parent has regular contact with the child and pays child support, you will not be able to complete a stepparent adoption in Oregon unless the other parent is willing to sign a consent to the adoption.


Where will you file your stepparent adoption documents?


The adoption documents are filed with the Circuit Court in the county where you reside. When the stepparent adoption is finalized by the Court, your adopted child will receive a new birth certificate, showing the new parent listed on the birth certificate, and also showing the child’s new name.


Prior to filing your Petition for Adoption with the Circuit Court in your county, you must have been a bona fide resident of the state of Oregon for six months prior to the filing of the petition, which residency must be stated in the petition and proved at the final hearing (Drivers License, etc.). If both parties currently reside in the state, then there is no time period required.


Grounds for the termination of parental rights.


The grounds which typically justify the termination of parental rights in a stepparent adoption involve abandonment, failure to support the child, imprisonment, certain abuse, and other grounds. The grounds for the termination of parental rights are different for each state, but all states accept the grounds of abandonment and lack of support, and some states include other grounds.


You should make every effort possible to obtain the consent of the other parent in your stepparent adoption. If you are unable to get the consent of the other parent, then in Oregon, the consent of the other parent will not be required, pursuant to ORS 109.324 as long as one of the following grounds has been met:


  • The absent parent has willfully deserted the child or neglected without just and sufficient cause to provide proper care and maintenance for the child for one (1) year immediately prior to the filing of the petition for adoption.
  • The absent parent has been adjudged mentally ill or mentally deficient and remains so at the time of the adoption proceedings.
  • The absent parent is imprisoned in a State or Federal prison under a sentence for a term of not less than three (3) years and has actually served three (3) years.


It is not required to terminate parental rights of a parent who is deceased.


Visitation by grandparents or the absent parent.


Most states do not have any provisions for the visitation rights of the parent losing parental rights, or the grandparents associated with that parent. The State of Oregon will recognize agreements for visitation by the parent losing their parental rights, but this is typically up to the discretion of the adopting parents.


Oregon Circuit Court: Address of some Oregon courts.


Our documents are for the entire State of Oregon. If your county court is not listed below, then we will provided the court information when we send your documents to you.


You must file the adoption documents in the Circuit Court in the county in which you are filing. Some court addresses for larger counties are as follows:


Multnomah County Circuit Court: 1021 S.W. 4th Avenue, Room 131 Portland, OR 97204 Phone: (503) 988-3003 or (503) 988-3957


Washington County Circuit Court: 145 NE 2nd Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124 Phone: 503.846.8888, TTY Phone: 503.846.4863


Marion County Juvenile Court:23030 Center St. NE, Salem, Oregon Phone: 503.588.5105 Fax: 503.373.4360


Lane County Circuit Court:
125 E. 8th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97401 Phone: (541) 682-4020


Jackson County Circuit Court: 100 South Oakdale, Medford, Oregon 97501 Phone: 541.776.7171 TTY: 541.779.9146 Fax: 541.776.7057


Baker County Circuit Court: 1995 3rd St, Suite #220, Baker City, OR 97814-3313 Telephone: 541.523.6305 Fax: 541.523.9738 TTY: 541.523.6303


Court filing fees.


The court filing fees for an adoption in Oregon are approximately $252.


Serving the absent parent.

In many stepparent adoptions, the absent parent may be willing to sign a consent form which consents to the termination of their parental rights and consents to the adoption. If the absent parent is willing to sign a consent, this will make the process a little easier because the court will know from the beginning that all parties agree to the stepparent adoption. Many of our adoption customers don’t know the whereabouts of the other parent, or the other parent has such a disinterest that he/she just won’t sign any documents. In this situation, you will file the adoption documents and then serve the absent parent by one of the following options:


1. Whereabouts of the other parent are UNKNOWN: If you are unable to locate the absent parent after a diligent search, then you can serve the parent by publication. This means that a notice is published in a local legal publication. Typically publication is once a week for 4 weeks. The publication fee for the newspaper averages around $85, but varies depending on where you live. Upon the filing of the Affidavit the clerk shall direct that service of notice be made by publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the complaint is filed. We provide all the required documents for service by publication.


2. The parent just won’t sign, but grounds exist for the adoption: If you know the whereabouts of the other parent, but that parent won’t sign due to disinterest, you can have that parent served by the Sheriff’s department or a private process server. This can be done even if the other parent is incarcerated in jail or a federal prison.


Start your Oregon Stepparent Adoption Today!


  • Reliable Adoption Featured On:

    Save Money saves you money. You can save thousands over the high cost of an attorney, and you can save money by having the experience of do your documents right the first time. Our experience counts.

    Fast Process - Personal Service - 100% Guarantee 

    Every customer is backed by a 100% money back guarantee. Please read our guarantee page for more information on this great policy. We start working on your documents the moment you submit your order. Our adoption department will work with you personally. We take the guess work out of completing your stepparent adoption.

    Simple Process - 1 day service

    Submit your order today, file tomorrow. We make our process simple and we guarantee your documents to be to you in less than 24 hours, ready to sign and file with the court. Then we stay with you until your adoption is final - that's service.

    Name change for your child: INCLUDED FOR FREE

    New Birth certificate: INCLUDED FOR FREE

    Consent documents: INCLUDED FOR FREE

    Publication documents: INCLUDED FOR FREE

    Thanks Reliable Adoption!


    "Just wanted to let you know that I saved over $2000 from what I was quoted by an attorney. Thanks for your service. You provide a valuable service to us who can't afford an attorney. Sorry I had so many questions, but thanks for always being patient and helping me through the process. Thanks."
    Reynolds, Nevada


    Adoption Testimonials

    Click here to learn more about
    our Customer Testimonials